Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group which is primarily secreted in the ovaries of females and the testes of males. It is the male sex hormone which plays a key role in developing the male’s testis and the prostate and promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased hair growth, bone mass and muscle. It also helps in the prevention of osteoporosis and is essential for the overall health and well being.
Low testosterone can lead to erectile dysfunction, low sex drive, depression, and increased body fat and memory loss.
Tips to increase your testosterone level
• Workout like a man: Do compound exercises like squats, bench presses, deadlifts, chin ups and military presses instead of light exercises to train large muscle groups. The lifting of heavy weights is encouraged as it can increase your testosterone level.
• Be sexually active: Try to get sexually stimulated as much as possible as your testosterone level can decrease if you are not sexually stimulated or aroused for long period of time. Moreover, it is already proven that your testosterone level increases if you are sexually stimulated.
• Say no to alcohol: Alcohol makes the breaking down of estrogen by the liver difficult and the more the estrogen; You will have more woman-like features such as man boobs and the loss of facial and pubic hair.
• Be stress free: Testosterone production is greatly hampered when your body releases the stress hormone which is known as cortisol. So, if you want a healthy testosterone, throw all your worries out of the window and live stress free.
• Eat healthy: Eat pesticide free fruits, vegetables and naturally raised meats.
The use of herbal supplements can also lend a hand in increasing your testosterone levels.